Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Letter

It all started with the recent death of one very close friend of mine. He passed away from what I can say,  a horrible motorcycle-lorry accident. Being at the hospital, looking at his dead body for one last time really changed my thoughts, my views, and my way I want to continue this life.

I started realizing that I've wasted quite a period of my life, quarreling, fighting, cold war etc etc with people that I actually care a lot about. It dawned upon me at that time : why continue the fight, the cold war? Why the ego if I don't even know when will be my last day?

I went home, I start making calls. I start sending messages. I start saying things that I dared not say in the past, for the fear of a fight, even though I know what I say is right. I tried to make things right. I contacted people who I cared, but were having cold wars with at that time. I want to make things right before it's too late. 

Thank God. So far so good. I'm happier leading my life like this. I feel better that I lowered my ego and talked to those people. I'm glad we are in talking terms again. 

And of course, I contacted someone who I last contacted 3 years ago. Someone who I had major fight with. Someone who I used to be so close with, yet I did not manage to set things right before he left. And he was once someone who promised to be there through everything. But due to a misunderstanding, we became strangers.

I asked for his address, I wrote him a letter. I apologized for things that ever happened. Even though he did admitted before that "this is one mistake I did that I never want you to know", but why bother who is right and who is wrong? Things were ugly, and that was 3 years ago. I thanked him and reminded him of the beautiful memories instead : him helping me to climb up pillars to hang banners at 1am, things like that. I realized it's no longer the time to look back and investigate.

This letter reached its owner on 1st Ramadhan. He, in turn, went the extra mile, asked for my phone number from one of our mutual friend, and texted me. He apologized, and he said thank you for making his Ramadhan more beautiful. You know the way we celebrate this Holy month is to forgive and forget the past, seek forgiveness, know that people had forgiven us, things like that.

I'm glad i made the move to write the letter, though it might be 3 years late. At least it make things right before it's too late. 

And it's a "happily-ever-after" ending

Dear friends, 

Draft your letter now, before it's too late.


Happy Ramadhan, Friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment